THE MONASTERY ESTATE - AN ANCIENT TRADITION
In the Eleventh Century, the Monastery, from which the village takes its name, sees vast acquisitions and takes on an increasingly important role in the history of the Aquileia territory, impacting the religious, economic, and social destiny of all the surrounding areas.
In 1782, the clerical complex is sold to the Cassis Faraone family, who transforms the Benedettino monastery into a farm villa.
Nearly a century later, in 1850, the estate is acquired by the family of Giulio Ettore Ritter de Záhony, originally from Frankfurt am Main. The success of the Baron Ritter de Záhony’s wine is undeniably due in part to the union between daughter Elvine with Count Theodor de la Tour, the descendent of an ancient noble French family belonging to the Catholic church. As a matter of fact, in 1877, Elvine’s father gives as a dowry the highly esteemed land of Russiz, located on the gentle slopes in the heart of Collio Goriziano.
The French wine expert and Giulio Ettore Ritter de Záhony sense how the farms of Collio Goriziano and Monastero di Aquileia, both of which belong to them, are particularly fitted for cultivating grapevines and vine plants and introduce for the first time in the territory’s history a variety of French vines such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet and Pinot, refined grapes that still to this day keep their wine supremacy intact in the region.
Ettore Ritter de Záhony, together with his son Eugenio, boldly transforms the Monastery estate into an innovative agricultural business, devoted to research and experimentation with new techniques to handle viticulture and the horticulture of vine plants (a million and a half per year), which are the subject of exportation throughout the entire Austro-Hungarian empire. Such careful work and the quality of the wine are immediately recognized and commended with numerous prizes at all of the major European fairs including the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1900, where the Ritters are awarded for Borgogna Nera, Rulaender (Pinot Grigio) and Ribolla.
The history of the ancient Ritter de Záhony family is ingrained into the territory’s history not only thanks to outstanding industrial activities (ranging from the textile business to the agricultural sector and characterized by innovative production systems), but also thanks to care when it comes to socio-cultural factors that still to this day are an example of managing the territory’s development.
In Trieste, Giovanni Cristoforo Ritter de Záhony is among the founding members of Assicurazioni Generali and there he serves as the first President. In Gorizia, where the Ritters specialize in cotton and silk, they build housing, schools, and hospitals for their employees. Lastly, in Aquileia, the collection belonging to the Ritters, which includes numerous archeological findings within their properties, significantly increases the Archeological Museum’s patrimony.
Centuries later, the values handed down from the Ritter de Záhony family perfectly live on with Guido Federico Rossignoli, who directly manages the Monastery estate. Today Guido Federico, in honor of the family spirit and traditions, looks to promote these extraordinary, historic places through viticulture and the quality of his wines